Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access, previously known as the Direct Express Emergency Cash allows you to withdraw money from your card account without your Direct Express card on hand. In this post, we will explain how this process works.
In addition, we will highlight who can benefit from Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access, where you can get cash and the fees associated with it.
However, before we go into further details, it is important to explain what the Direct Express card about.
Also, we will detail why the card is recommended by the United States Treasury Department for receiving federal benefits.
Next, we will explain the benefits that come with the card that most cardholders are not aware of.
Finally, we will answer the most frequently asked questions about Direct Express.
This post will cover:
- Benefits of Direct Express Debit Card
- What is Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access?
- Who can benefit from Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access?
- How do I get cash with Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access?
- FAQs about Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access
What Is Direct Express Card?
The Direct Express card is a prepaid debit card option for federal benefit recipients to receive their benefits electronically.
This prepaid debit card offers convenience and security to spend and access your money rather than using cash for purchases.
When you sign up to receive your federal benefits on the Social Security debit card, you will receive your payment every month, on your payment date without having to worry about cashing your check or having it lost or stolen.
You can make purchases with your Direct Express debit card at stores that accept Debit MasterCard.
In addition, you can pay bills, purchase money orders from the U.S. Post Office, and get cash from ATMs or financial institutions that display the MasterCard acceptance mark.
Anyone receiving federal benefit payments, such as Social Security, SSDI, SSI, or Veterans assistance, can enroll.
There is no bank account or credit check is required to enroll.
Furthermore, there are no sign-up fees or monthly account fees.
Finally, unlike other prepaid debit cards, many of the services and benefits of the Direct Express debit card are free. See the fee schedule here.
Benefits of Direct Express Debit Card
Here are some of the great benefits of using a Direct Express debit card instead of receiving your federal benefits by check.
First, federal benefit payments are deposited on the due date and the money becomes available right away.
This is better than waiting to get your benefits by check.
Second, you can access your funds on the card 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the following ways.
- Get cash at an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) or make cash withdrawals at banks that accept MasterCard;
- Pay for merchandise or services with the card and get cashback, if desired, at businesses that accept MasterCard; and
- Use the card to make purchases online.
Third, you can use your Direct Express debit card to pay bills online, as long as the business you are paying can process the transaction as a debit or credit card.
What is Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access?
Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access allows you to obtain up to $1,000 of the funds available on your Direct Express card account without your card in hand.
It is also sometimes referred to as the Direct Express Emergency Cash.
The program allows cardholders to access funds from their account in situations where they have either lost their card or do not have their card with them for whatever reason.
The service is especially useful for cardholders if they are currently not in their home state and need access to their Direct Express funds without their card.
Who can benefit from Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access?
The Direct Express Emergency Cash program is particularly useful for the following groups of people:
- Those whose Direct Express card is lost or stolen, have had their card canceled and are waiting for the new card to arrive but need cash now.
- Cardholders whose cards have expired and are waiting for their new card to arrive in the mail but need money now.
- Those who have ordered a replacement Direct Express debit card and need access to their cash now.
How do I get cash with Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access?
You may pick up your money at any MoneyGram location in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico.
Almost all Walmart Locations have MoneyGram centers, making it easy for you to get access to your money.
For a MoneyGram location near you, click here.
For a Walmart location near you, click here.
What are the fees?
You can get up to $1,000 of the funds available on your Direct Express card account without your card in hand.
The fee is either $8.50 for up to $500 or $12.00 for up to $1,000.
FAQs about Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access
Here are the most frequently asked questions related to the Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access.
Can I get a loan or cash advance from my Direct Express card?
Can I Overdraw my Direct Express Account?
If you have a traditional bank account and are used to debit card overdraft, you may be wondering if that applies to the Direct Express Card Account.
Unlike a checking account, the Direct Express card cannot be overdrawn in most cases.
If the card has insufficient funds, the payment will normally be denied.
However, it is possible to overdraw your account if you use your card to pay for gas at the pump.
That is why when buying gas with your Direct Express card, it is advisable to go inside the gas station to pay with the attendant.
There are no overdraft fees with the Direct Express Debit Card.
Can I Transfer Money to my Direct Express card?
Unfortunately, the answer is No. You cannot deposit personal funds onto your Direct Express card.
Your Direct Express card is designed to only accept funds paid to you by the United States federal government.
This includes the following government benefits:
- U.S. Coast Guard
- The DFAS Annuitant Pay
- DFAS Retired Military Pay
- DFAS Former Spouse Pay
- Black Lung
- Federal Employee Workers Comp
- Long Shore and Harbor Workers Comp
- Civil Service Retirement/Annuity
- Civil Service Survivor/Annuity
- Railroad Retirement Annuity
- Railroad Retirement Unemployment/Sickness
- Social Security Retirement
- Supplemental Security Income
- DC Pension
- The Veterans Compensation and Pension
- Veterans Education MGIB
- The Veterans Education/Selected Reserve
- Veterans Vocational Rehab and Employee
- The Chapter 33 – VA EDU Post 911 – Post 911 GI Bill
- Chapter 35 – VA DEP EDU ASST – Dependents Education Assistance Program
- Chapter 1607 – VA EDUCTN REAP – Reserve Education Assistance
- Veterans Health Administration
- Compensated Work Therapy
- Veterans Medical Research
Can I split my Social Security direct deposit between two bank accounts?
Currently, the Social Security Administration only allows a direct deposit to a single account (e.g. checking account, savings account, or prepaid card account like Direct Express).
One way to split your payment is to make an arrangement with your financial institution to transfer funds into your other bank accounts.
How much is COLA for 2021 and when will I receive it?
According to this report, it is estimated that Social Security recipients would get a modest 0.3% COLA for 2021.
However, if prices continue to rise, then the size of the COLA could be larger.
This compares to the 1.6% cost-of-living adjustment for 2020. In 2019, the COLA was 2.8%, an increase of about $40 a month for retirees.
Can I change the date I receive my Social Security benefits?
Unfortunately, you cannot change the date your Social Security benefits are paid.
As explained above:
- If are currently getting or applied for Social Security benefits on or before April 30, 1997, or
- If you receive both Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you will receive your benefit on the third of the month.
However, If you receive only SSI, you will receive your benefit on the first of the month.
How to Get Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access Summary
We hope this post on Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access was helpful.
If your question was not answered and or have general questions about Direct Express, please let us know in the comments section below.